13 November 2020

Antifreeze Poisoning in pets

Speak to a vet

Claire Smith, Vet

Now we are well into autumn and with winter looming many of us in Sandwich and Deal will be topping up our antifreeze.

Sadly pets are attracted to the taste and smell of antifreeze, especially cats. Antifreeze is incredibly toxic to pets and just a few laps of this chemical can be deadly.

Every year vets across the country see many cases of antifreeze poisoning, unfortunately many of these prove to be fatal. In most cases it is because a cat as lapped from a puddle containing antifreeze.

Antifreeze is toxic to cats

Please be careful when storing and using this chemical, any spillages should be cleared up. Never use antifreeze in water features or near wildlife.

Symptoms to look out for include:

  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Being unstable and wobbly
  • Seizures

Kidney failure and death

If you are concerned your pet may have ingested antifreeze please call your vet immediately.

Have a question?

If you have a question or need some advice (or just fancy a chat) we are always happy to talk. We love to write to please let us know what you would like to see next on our blog!

Contact us Book online