13 October 2020

Autumnal Hazards: Conkers

Speak to a vet

Claire Smith, Vet

With the days starting to get shorter and the temperatures dropping, there is a potential hazard all dog owners should be wary of which can be found through out the parks of Deal and Sandwich…. Conkers!

We all love collecting conkers, however they can potentially cause a serious problem for your dog if they accidentally manage to ingest one.

Conkers are poisonous to dogs

Conkers are the perfect size and density to cause a blockage in a dogs airway or intestine, leading to choking or gastrointestinal problems.

Conkers are also highly poisonous as they contain a chemical called aesculin, acorns also contain this chemical.

Symptoms of poisoning to look out for are:

  1. Muscle tremors
  2. Vomiting and diarrhoea
  3. Abdominal pain or discomfort
  4. Breathing difficulties in more serious cases.

Whilst the symptoms of toxicity can come on suddenly, if the conker has caused an intestine blockage you may notice symptoms a few days later.

We would recommend not throwing or kicking conkers for dogs to chase so they are not tempted to retrieve them, and to keep a close eye on any keen foragers at this time of year.

If you have any concerns please contact you local Sandwich and Deal vet.

Dog running in the woods

Have a question?

If you have a question or need some advice (or just fancy a chat) we are always happy to talk. We love to write to please let us know what you would like to see next on our blog!

Contact us Book online