28 October 2021

Pets at Halloween

Speak to a vet

Claire Smith, Vet

Halloween can be an exciting time of year for many of us, but this event can pose a risk to our furry friends and make them quite anxious. Please have a look at our top tips below to help avoid any accidents this Halloween.

  1. Please keep glow sticks well away from pets. They are easily chewed through and ingesting the luminous liquid inside can cause them to salivate, foam at the mouth and feel sick.
  2. Please remember to take great care when opening the front door. Many dogs and cats are hit by cars on Halloween night, simply by running out whilst trick or treaters are answered at the door.
  3. Be careful using candles around the home as we see cases of burnt paws and whiskers. Electric candles may be a good alternative to consider.
  4. Spooky decorations such as fake cobwebs should be kept out of reach. Puppies and kittens are always tempted to investigate interesting things. Stringy and elastic fabrics are very common types of foreign body that we have to surgically remove from intestines.
  5. We all love chocolate but it is toxic for our pets. Symptoms of theobromine poisoning can be vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy or hyperactivity. In some cases these symptoms can lead to death. Please call us immediately if your pet has ingested chocolate.
  6. If your pet gets nervous with loud noises or unfamiliar sights create them a safe space to retreat to, music or the tv can be used to help drown out unwanted sounds.

Have a question?

If you have a question or need some advice (or just fancy a chat) we are always happy to talk. We love to write to please let us know what you would like to see next on our blog!

Contact us Book online